Karen Pryor Academy (KPA)
Karen Pryor Academy for Animal Training & Behavior is an educational institution that teaches inspired animal training through innovative programs designed for both experienced and aspiring teachers. Force free training built on decades of scientific research and practical development. Locate a Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner in your area.
Karen Pryor´s website for a great resource for clicker training books, videos, gear and more. Founded in 2001, Karen Pryor Clicker Training (KPCT) is a leader in the field of animal training and a recognized world leader in the science and application of marker-based positive reinforcement, or what is often called “clicker training.”
Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT)
The international testing and certification resource for professional dog trainers based on humane training practices and the latest scientific knowledge related to dog training. Competence and continued growth in training practices is promoted through the recertification of qualified professionals.
Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT)
A professional organization of individual dog trainers who are committed to becoming better trainers through education. The APDT offers individual pet dog trainers a respected and concerted voice in the dog world. The APDT continues to promote professional trainers to the veterinary profession and to increase public awareness of dog friendly training techniques.
AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Program
A certification program that is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. Required or recommended by many home owner’s insurance companies.
Whole Dog Journal
An informative, monthly publication for natural dog care, nutrition and training for fellow dog lovers. The detailed health and training articles are all positive. The Whole Dog Journal reviews dog food, dog toys, and dog health and care products and has great article about training and behavior, advocating positive and force-free methods.
American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior Position Statements (AVSAB)
Position statements of a group of veterinarians and research professionals who share an interest in understanding behavior in animals. Dominance Theory – Teaching or Intimidation? Read the Position Statement on the Use of Dominance Theory, Positive Veterinary Visits, and more by the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior!
Positive Veterinary Visits
Doggone safe is a non-profit organization dedicated to dog bite prevention and dog bite victim support. Doggone Safe’s mission is to promote education initiatives for the purpose of dog bite prevention and increased child safety around dogs and to provide support for dog bite victims.
The importance of early puppy socialization and why it should be a first priority. A veterinary behaviorist’s view encouraging veterinarians and puppy guardians to make puppy socialization a first priority. Read this open letter from Dr. R.K. Anderson, DVM, Diplomat of American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine and Diplomat of American College of Veterinary Behaviorists. Veterinarian experts in animal behavior caution that the risk of developing behavioral problems—especially aggression—outweighs the risk of developing disease in otherwise healthy puppies. Puppy vaccinations and early socialization should go together.
- Don’t Shoot the Dog! by Karen Pryor
- Clicker Magic by Karen Pryor
- Clicker Training for Dogs by Karen Pryor
- Reaching the Animal Mind by Karen Pryor
- Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog by Emma Parson
- Click for Joy! by Melissa C. Alexander
- Clicking With Your Dog: Step-By-Step in Pictures by Peggy Tillman
- The Other End Of The Leash by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D
- For the Love of a Dog by Patricia McConnell, Ph.D.
- Control Unleashed: Creating a Focused and Confident Dog by Leslie McDevitt
- Outwitting Dogs by Terry Ryan
- How to Speak Dog by Stanley Coren
- How Dogs Think by Stanley Coren
- Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
- Living with Kids and Dogs, Without Losing Your Mind by Colleen Pelar
Good Dog! Kids Teach Kids About Dog Behavior and Training by Evelyn Pang and Hilary Louie
- Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones by American College of Veterinary Behaviorists (Author), Debra F. Horwitz DVM (Editor), John Ciribassi DVM (Editor), Steve Dale (Contributor)
- Puppy Start Right: Foundation Training for the Companion Dog By Kenneth Martin, DVM, and Debbie Martin, RVT, VTS (Behavior)
- Positive Perspectives 2: Know Your Dog, Train Your Dog by Pat Miller